Friday, July 20, 2007

Muggles and Wizards and Horcruxes, Oh My!

In less than 24 hours, the final Harry Potter book will be in my hands. I am seriously giddy in anticipation like a little kid. I CANNOT WAIT!!! I pre-ordered the book from the lovely and amazing Green Apple Books here in SF so that my money wouldn't go to some mega-corporation like Borders and to ensure I would not have to deal with UPS or the postal system, both of which have probably been dreading this day for months.

When I pre-ordered the book, the clerk at Green Apple handed me a green parchment paper with an order number, awater mark (!) a photo of Harry and the following words: "Bearer may redeem this pacrhment for one (1) copy of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows at Green Apple Books. Valid commencing midnight, July 21, 2007. No questions will be asked." Brilliant.

To add to the excitement and insanity, KFOG has been playing magic-related music all morning, interjected with sound bites from the Harry Potter movies. I was lucky enough to have seen the fifth HP movie last Friday not only in IMAX but with parts of it in 3D. However, I am envious my NYC-based HP friends can take advantage of the madness that will be taking place at Scholastic headquarters in SoHo. And did you know that a British hotline called ChildLine is already preparing for a deluge of calls from children to help them cope with the promised deaths in the final book?

And not overshadow today's big event, happy birthday Dan! I promise to not read the book while at the Oakland A's game tomorrow but cannot make the same promise to and from on the BART.

1 comment:

Laura said...

i can't believe Harry potter is more important than the earthquake. Seriously are you guys OK? Where are you going for dinner for Daniel's birthday?